2.15.2009

Shadow's progress

After walk


Life has been interesting the past couple of days. I think I either have a cold or the worst allergy symptoms maybe ever. my eyes don't itch, my throat doesn't itch, but I am super congested and coughing. Here's to hoping it's a cold. I'm washing the sheets and blanket as I write this, and since Shadow was a bed dog for the first night, that will probably help a lot.

The first night was both good and bad. We got him out to the car okay, but I had to lift him in (he's only maybe 50 pounds or so). Then when we got home and had a walk, he planted his feet and REFUSED to go into the building, so I lifted him up, carried him in the door, then into the elevator. when we got to our floor, he hopped down, then planted his feet again, refusing to go into the apartment. so I lifted him up and brought him in. This happened yesterday, each time a little better, less of the planting the feet. We are now to the point where we tug on the leash a little bit and while he's still a tiny bit apprehensive, he will go out (and in) on his own for the most part.

Now the crate is the opposite. The first night, he didn't make a peep. But then last night, he whined and even howled a couple times. At first, we tried to ignore it and that didn't work, so eventually, whenever he started, one of us would firmly say "NO." and after 30-45 minutes he laid down and went to sleep. maybe only a couple of times during the night he did it again.

We're trying to get him on a schedule, too, which means that although we both have the entire weekend off, we both got up the first morning at 6:30 to take him out for a walk, then this morning Josh got up at 6 to take him for a walk. I'll be going to work at 5, but Josh will get up at 6 to take him for a walk and then be at work by 7. Shadow will be in the crate from 7 until maybe 10:30 when I get home. Since the only treats he currently seem to be interested in are Pupperonis we think that before Josh leaves, he will put him in his crate, give him one, then leave. That way, he'll associate treats with being in the crate.

He ate for the first time since he's been here last night and that was only because Josh went and bought some wet food. I mixed a little with his food, and then he ate the whole bowl. I tried that again this morning, though and he only ate the wet food. When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat I suppose. He won't play with any toys yet.

oh and he poops WEIRD. I know this isn't a very appropriate thing to blog about (lol) but it's the WEIRDEST THING. he's only done it once, but last night Josh and I took him on a long walk. Now the foster mom said he poops on things, but what he did was, he backed up to a tree, climbed it backwards with his hind legs, and went. his hind legs were halfway up the tree, and his front legs were on the ground, and that was how he pooped. how odd is that? I've never in my life heard of anything like that, let alone seen it.

ETA VALENTINE'S DAY: Josh and I both decided not to do Valentine's Day this year because we are still trying to move to Indianapolis, and we're trying to save money. Which is why, I guess we just spent nearly $500 (and counting) on adopting ourselves a dog. lol. and not only the day before Valentine's Day but on FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH! So earlier in the day I ran to Target for some Zyrtec-D (still thought I had wicked allergies, I'm pretty positive I'm just sick now because my eyes don't itch or anything, I have a headache and a fever) and instead of getting him chocolate (which he likes but isn't in LOVE with, like I am lol) I got him a $15 ITunes gift card. I got a zune pass which enables me to download an unlimited amount of songs which I can listen to as long as I keep my pass active ($15/month) and then 10 permanent downloads a month. He kept telling me to download all this stuff, so I thought I'd give him the gift of music. Later on, he went and got Shadow wet food (so he would eat) from Wal-Mart and brought me back 2 heart-shaped boxes of chocolate, a bag of milk chocolate dove and a bag of meltaway center milk chocolate bliss. mmmmmmmmmmmm <3 chocolate. Our Valentine's Day was mostly spent hanging around in bed after we moved the entire room around. I forgot to mention that.

The window we had behind our bed is the only one that looks down onto the street (the other two look into the wall of the building next door; boring) and he kept jumping on the bed to get a better look, so we re-arranged the entire bedroom, then realized he just wanted to be on the bed. oh well, I like it better how it is now, anyway.

0 responses:

Post a Comment